The Way Out

I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. I am seventy years old, so this really came as no surprise. Unwelcome news, to be certain, but all of us who have reached this stage in life should be prepared for such things. I knew probably what most men know when they get the news: not much. This is not a satisfactory state to be in, so I've set about learning as much as I can, and am setting the chronicle of my journey down here.

One of my favorite stories came from the TV show, The West Wing, in which Josh is dealing with PSTD and wants to know why Leo is standing by him. Leo tells the story of a man who fell into a hole and could not climb out. He asked passersby to help, but is ignored until a friend comes by and jumps in the hole with him.

"What did you do that for?" the man said, "Now we're both stuck down here."

"It's OK," the friend says, "I've been down here before. I know the way out."

There are many other people out there who know the way out and I will be forever grateful for the guides I have found, and will encounter, on the way out. I hope to become a guide as well through the pages of this blog.


Sunday, April 7, 2013

Bone Scans

After a rather extended and clinical discussion with my doc on the first day that I received the news about having prostate cancer, I left with the basic information that my risk is, "moderate-low". There was discussion of Gleason scale numbers, which are skewed to some extent in a manner that makes them rather difficult to understand. I did find out through other references, that the diagnostic procedures, tools and algorithms are all estimates. Some are estimates based on estimates. Oh, good.

The doc, as almost an afterthought, scheduled a bone scan x-ray at St. Mary Corwin hospital in Pueblo. I did this last week. It's a relatively painless procedure. The tech/nurse was an artist with an IV. I actually did not know that the needle was in until I looked. "Working on the painless needle stick," he said. Well, I think he's got it down.

I laid out on a long table that fit within a moving apparatus shaped like a high-tech donut. Had to remove all the metal objects from my pockets, and the belt, but kept my boots and clothes on. Took thirty minutes for the scan, and I fell asleep a couple of times. Then, Barb and I had a Chinese food lunch and drove home.

Next day, the Urologist office called to schedule a follow up appointment. Well, I said, I'd rather have a phone consult since I have to drive two hours and spend gas money to sit in his office and hear the same thing he can tell me over the phone. Sorry, they can't do that. I had her talk directly to the doc, but no, he won't do that, so I have to go back in on Tuesday. They wanted to schedule the follow up out about three weeks, but I want the news sooner than later.

Since this is the time in our lives when we are routinely using phones, text messages, email and the internet for almost everything, I would like to understand the reason why office visits are necessary. Is is a liability thing? Are the lawyers and insurance companies at it again?

No comments:

Post a Comment