The Way Out

I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. I am seventy years old, so this really came as no surprise. Unwelcome news, to be certain, but all of us who have reached this stage in life should be prepared for such things. I knew probably what most men know when they get the news: not much. This is not a satisfactory state to be in, so I've set about learning as much as I can, and am setting the chronicle of my journey down here.

One of my favorite stories came from the TV show, The West Wing, in which Josh is dealing with PSTD and wants to know why Leo is standing by him. Leo tells the story of a man who fell into a hole and could not climb out. He asked passersby to help, but is ignored until a friend comes by and jumps in the hole with him.

"What did you do that for?" the man said, "Now we're both stuck down here."

"It's OK," the friend says, "I've been down here before. I know the way out."

There are many other people out there who know the way out and I will be forever grateful for the guides I have found, and will encounter, on the way out. I hope to become a guide as well through the pages of this blog.


Thursday, April 11, 2013

Scratch One More

One of my best friends came by to visit a couple of days ago. I learned that he has been through this too, and started out with an urologist from the "assembly line" school. "We'll just clip that prostate..."
Not words a guy wants to hear. No sympathy, understanding or basic courtesy. My friend dropped him like a hot rock and went on to find better medical help. I intend to do the same.

In that vein, I embarked on a internet search to learn as much as possible about the radiologist that had been referred by my urologist - the one I just fired. I didn't learn much, because there is not much out there on him, but what I did learn prompted me to cancel my appointment after reading comments by one patient who was pretty pissed off. Now, although these comments may have been posted by someone not fond of this doctor for other reasons, they were pretty detailed and unsettling. This, coupled with no other actual reviews by patients, almost no information about his practice and the fact that he recently graduated from a lower ranked medical school was enough for me.

I am learning that the prostate cancer industry is really huge. The after effects are often worse than the disease, depending on the treatment, and I have read that some people feel it's a money-generating industry for some people who are not so much interested in the whole picture of health and well-being for their patients.

The search continues because the consequences are serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment