The Way Out

I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. I am seventy years old, so this really came as no surprise. Unwelcome news, to be certain, but all of us who have reached this stage in life should be prepared for such things. I knew probably what most men know when they get the news: not much. This is not a satisfactory state to be in, so I've set about learning as much as I can, and am setting the chronicle of my journey down here.

One of my favorite stories came from the TV show, The West Wing, in which Josh is dealing with PSTD and wants to know why Leo is standing by him. Leo tells the story of a man who fell into a hole and could not climb out. He asked passersby to help, but is ignored until a friend comes by and jumps in the hole with him.

"What did you do that for?" the man said, "Now we're both stuck down here."

"It's OK," the friend says, "I've been down here before. I know the way out."

There are many other people out there who know the way out and I will be forever grateful for the guides I have found, and will encounter, on the way out. I hope to become a guide as well through the pages of this blog.


Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Some good news for a change.

Yesterday I learned that my bone scan came back clean. That's the good news. Interestingly, I did not learn this from the urologist that referred me, the one who did my biopsy. He is the one who refused to talk with me about it over the phone. I learned of this from the PA who works with my primary care doctor - over the phone. The hospital that did the bone scan procedure sent the materials to my urologist's office. They forwarded this information along with the rest collected by his office to my primary care doctor. The PA had the kindness and good sense to just straight out tell me. The urologist was insisting that I pay him an office visit for the same information. Now, I don't really know the reasoning behind his decision, but I have the thought that it might have something to do with charging me for an office visit.

I do know that I have already received a bill for the first office visit, which, from experience with the billing processes from other medical offices around here, falls into the super-efficient, very quick category.

I have an appointment with a radiologist, referred by the urologist's office, on Friday. My sense is that although I was told by the urologist that there is no rush in choosing a treatment method, I am being rushed into referrals and appointments dealing with treatment methods. There is a lot more to learn and understand about what's going on in my particular case before I get to the point where I choose a treatment. My wife has ordered a copy of a book entitled The Invasion of the Prostate Snatchers. Before I make any kind of decision I will read this book, and read the fine resources provided to me by my daughter and friends.

I can see where it is easy for a person in this situation to feel that something has to be done quickly, and to just not think about it too much and do what the doctor says. Problem is, some doctors have a limited repertoire of responses mostly focused on what they have trained for and practice. Understandable from their points of view, but not from mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment