The Way Out

I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. I am seventy years old, so this really came as no surprise. Unwelcome news, to be certain, but all of us who have reached this stage in life should be prepared for such things. I knew probably what most men know when they get the news: not much. This is not a satisfactory state to be in, so I've set about learning as much as I can, and am setting the chronicle of my journey down here.

One of my favorite stories came from the TV show, The West Wing, in which Josh is dealing with PSTD and wants to know why Leo is standing by him. Leo tells the story of a man who fell into a hole and could not climb out. He asked passersby to help, but is ignored until a friend comes by and jumps in the hole with him.

"What did you do that for?" the man said, "Now we're both stuck down here."

"It's OK," the friend says, "I've been down here before. I know the way out."

There are many other people out there who know the way out and I will be forever grateful for the guides I have found, and will encounter, on the way out. I hope to become a guide as well through the pages of this blog.


Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Finally, Good News and a Sane Perspective

Yesterday I had a good visit with my primary Doctor. After more reading and serious contemplation, I came to the conclusion that since most PC instances are the non-aggressive, slow developing ones, and mine probably fit that category, I should meet with my main doctor and discuss this. He could give me a good insight on my reasoning, especially since he would have all of the test and clinical data that my first (and, so far, only) urologist refused to share with me.

Before meeting with my Doc, I called the urologist office and canceled my upcoming appointment. I also asked for my records. If I sign a release, they will mail them, which I intend to do next week.

The visit with my Doc was good. He, having the test and clinical data available, reviewed it with me and concluded that, no I don't need to get involved with treatment at this point. His view is that I might benefit from hormone treatments, or possibly none at this point. He personally has experience with an older urologist in the area who is a noted conservative in his approach to PC. I agreed to a referral. This, of course, lifted my spirits since it validated my own opinions.

To be quite blunt about the situation, at this stage of my life I have absolutely no intention of undergoing any "treatment" that would make me sexually dysfunctional and put me in diapers.

Since my next scheduled PC related appointment is with a radiologist, even though he comes highly recommended, is getting canceled today. I see no reason to bounce between urologists and radiologists whose main focus is treatment in their fields of expertise and training.


No comments:

Post a Comment